|Directed by:||Graham Annable, Anthony Stacchi|
|Written by:||Irena Brignull|
|Based on:||HERE BE MONSTERS! by Alan Snow|
|Starring:||Ben Kingsley, Simon Pegg, Elle Fanning, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Toni Collette, Jared Harris|
|Distributed by:||Focus Features|
|Release date(s):||September 26, 2014|
The Boxtrolls is a 2014 stop motion adventure film based on the novel HERE BE MONSTERS! by Alan Snow. Produced by LAIKA, it is being directed by Graham Annable and Anthony Stacchi, and written by Irena Brignull. The film stars Ben Kingsley, Simon Pegg, Elle Fanning, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Toni Collette and Jared Harris. The film is currently scheduled to be released on September 26, 2014.
A comedic fable that unfolds in Cheesebridge, a posh Victorian-era town obsessed with wealth, class and the stinkiest of fine cheeses. Beneath its charming cobblestone streets dwell the Boxtrolls, foul monsters who crawl out of the sewers at night and steal what the townspeople hold most dear: their children and their cheeses.
At least, that’s the legend residents have always believed. In truth, the Boxtrolls are an underground cavern-dwelling community of quirky and lovable oddballs who wear recycled cardboard boxes the way turtles wear their shells. The Boxtrolls have raised an orphaned human boy, Eggs (Isaac Hempstead-Wright), since infancy as one of their dumpster-diving and mechanical junk collecting own. When the Boxtrolls are targeted by villainous pest exterminator, Archibald Snatcher (Ben Kingsley) who is bent on eradicating them as his ticket to Cheesebridge society, the kindhearted band of tinkerers must turn to their adopted charge and adventurous rich girl, Winnie (Elle Fanning) to bridge two worlds amidst the winds of change-and cheese.
- Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Eggs
- Ben Kingsley as Archibald Snatcher
- Elle Fanning as Winnie Portley-Rind
- Toni Collette as Lady Portley-Rind, Winnie's mother.
- Jared Harris as Lord Portley-Rind, Winnie's father and leader of the White Hats.
- Nick Frost as Mr. Trout, Snatcher's corpulent, bumbling, yet intellectual henchman.
- Richard Ayoade as Mr. Pickles, Snatcher's spindly, well-meaning but misguided henchman.
- Tracy Morgan as Mr. Gristle, Snatcher's diminutive and maniacal henchman.
- Simon Pegg as Herbert Trubshaw, a brilliant inventor and Eggs's father.
- Dee Bradley Baker as Fish, Wheels, and Bucket, three Boxtrolls.
- Steve Blum as Shoe and Sparky, two Boxtrolls.
- Nika Futterman as Oil Can and Knickers, two Boxtrolls.
- Pat Fraley as Fragile and Sweets, two Boxtrolls.
- Fred Tatasciore as Clocks and Specs, two Boxtrolls.
- Max Mitchell as Baby Eggs
- Maurice LaMarche as Sir Langsdale
- James Urbaniak as Sir Broderick, Male workman #1, Male workman #2
- Brian George as Boulanger, Male aristocrat
- Lori Tritel as Female aristocrat
- Laraine Newman as Female townsfolk #1, Female townsfolk #2
- Reckless Jack as Background boy
In June 2008, Laika unveiled a slate of projects in development, among which was also an animated feature film adaptation of the Alan Snow's novel HERE BE MONSTERS!. Animation technique not yet decided, Anthony Stacchi was set to direct the film. LAIKA announced on February 7, 2013, that the adaptation will be their next 3D stop motion/CGI feature under the title The Boxtrolls. Directed by Stacchi and Graham Annable, it was scheduled to be released on October 17, 2014, before it moved up in May 2013 to September 26, 2014. Focus Features will hold worldwide distribution rights to The Boxtrolls, and Universal Pictures International will release the movie overseas (with eOne Distribution handling Canada).
- You can also hear the crying sound of Baby Kate from Arthur in this film.